October Postpartum and Beyond Recipe Feature
These monthly recipes are designed to tick all the boxes for you and your family. They are also postpartum friendly so you can deliver a jar to a new mama friend or prepare some in advance to freeze for your own postpartum journey. We are busy tired mums who want to nourish our family and sometimes this can be overwhelming. Throw in fussy toddlers and babies starting solids and it can all feel a bit too hard.
This Slow Cooked Brisket with Roast Sweet Potato Mash is made using Gevity Smokey Texan Bone Broth Marinade because it makes the recipe even quicker to make. However, you can substitute the marinade out and replace it with (1 cup bone broth, 1 can tomatoes, 100g tomato paste, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp sumac).
I have included two options, either slow cooker or pressure cooker. I love both. The pressure cooker is a life saver when you get to lunch time and realise you forgot to put dinner on but the slow cooker can be done over night or all day.
Slow Cooked Brisket with Roast Sweet Potato Mash, Greens and Goats Cheese
- 1.5 kg beef brisket
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Jar Gevity smokey texan bone broth marinade
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- Handful greens (green beans, broccolini or kale)
- Olive Oil
- Ghee or Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: Meredith Goats Cheese
- Optional: Sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 180•C fan forced.
- Cover brisket gevity marinade, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes (over night is best!)
- Chop 1.5 sweet potato into chunks, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- BLW MAMAS Cut the last half of sweet potato into finger sized pieces. Pop on a separate tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a frypan over medium to high heat, sautee onion and garlic in some ghee.
- SLOW COOKER Add onion into slow cooker pan and place brisket and extra marinade on top. Pour over remainder of marinade and cook on high for 5-6 hours.Shred meat with two forks.
- PRESSURE COOKER/ INSTANT POT Add onion into slow cooker pan and place brisket and extra marinade on top. Cook on high pressure for 1 hour 45 – 2 hours. Let pressure release slowly for 10 minutes and then you can manually release pressure. Shred meat with two forks.
- Half an hour before meat is ready to be served. Put sweet potato in oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through.
- While sweet potato is roasting, steam your chosen greens for 10 minutes.
- Mash sweet potato with pinch of salt and a tablespoon of ghee or butter.
My daughter doesn’t like mash so I always put a few pieces of the roast sweet potato to one side before I mash it. An easy way you can adapt the meal to suit your family. Serve shredded meat over roast mash and add greens. You can eat as is or top with goats cheese and a side of sauerkraut for the perfect meal.
This slow cooked meat is perfect for BLW. Pull apart small soft pieces and serve with roast sweet potato fingers, soft steamed greens with ghee (zucchini or broccoli) and some sauerkraut for an easy and balanced meal for your little one.
Postpartum Mama Serving
Perfect postpartum meal for weeks 2+ as we recommend you avoid large portions of meat in the first two weeks while your digestive system recalibrates.
- Leave out onion and/ or garlic if mama is sensitive or baby has colic.
- Mash the sweet potato with 2 tbsp of Ghee and a 1 tsp of fennel seeds.
You can find more delicious recipes in the Village for Mama recipe book. If you want more recipes like this and other great postpartum and motherhood resources, sign up to our mailing list.