A delicious, quick and easy dinner. Ginger, miso and kimchi fried rice is a perfect nourishing meal for a postpartum mama.
We had this ginger, miso and kimchi fried rice for dinner the other night. I posted it on my stories and most of you asked for the recipe. SO here it is, a few days late, because I have been busy packing all of your orders! This recipe is really simple to make, it is a wonderful quick dinner option using ingredients you most likely already have in the fridge.
It is also a perfect, nourishing postpartum meal. The ginger is a wonderful warming and groundings spice. It is packed full of veggies and fermented goodness from the miso and kimchi. Souring then cooking the brown rice in bone broth makes is much easier to digest and maximises nutrients and nutrient absorption. This added step requires a little forward thinking but you can still enjoy this recipe without souring the rice.
Shopping for ingredients
Ideally this recipe doesn’t involve a trip to the shops! It really doesn’t matter which veggies you use, anything you have in your fridge will be perfect. I like to think that most people have some brilliant fermented food options in their fridge already (miso, sauerkraut, kimchi and kefir) as they are so easily accessible these days! If not, you can easily find these ingredients at your local supermarket.
White miso is a soy bean paste that has been fermented with white rice. It has a beautiful flavour and is a little sweeter than red miso paste. If you only have red miso paste in your fridge, you can absolutely still use it. I would just reduce the amount as the flavour is much deeper.
Kimchi has become readily available everywhere! I actually picked up mine from the local petrol station believe it or not! For this recipe I used Black Miso & Garlic Kimchi from Green St Kitchen and it was absolutely delicious.
Ginger, Miso & Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked or see method 1 + 2
- 1 cup bone broth (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cups veggies, chopped small (Broccoli, zucchini, capsicum, carrot…)
- 1 cup spinach, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 2 – 3 tablespoons white miso
- Soak 1 cup of brown rice in 2 cups of filtered water and 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar overnight (8 – 12 hours) then rinse well.
- Cook brown rice using the absorption method in water or bone broth. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium/high and add mixed veggies. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk eggs and miso together.
- Add cooked rice to fry pan and combine. Pour egg and miso over and fold through to combine.
- Stir through shredded spinach. Serve with kimchi and sesame seeds.
You can supercharge your fried rice by adding some organic meat like fried pork or tamari tempeh is a great vegan protein addition too in place of the eggs.
For more nourishing postpartum meals. Check out the village for mama book. Happy Cooking!
Love Leila x
Ps. If you found this journal helpful and you wanted to say thanks, you can buy me a coffee. I am so grateful for your love and support.