Coconut vanilla custard recipe from village for mama postpartum recipe book.Mood boosting, blood building, tissue repairing, hydrating and highly nutritious treat, perfect for a recovering mama!
There is something so moreish and delicious about creamy custard. The coconut base of their treat meals it one of my favourites and a great dairy free alternative. The perfect combination of good healthy fat and protein makes this a wonderful postpartum pudding. With minimal but mineral rich maple to sweeten, it is even a great morning snack.
Fats are the most important thing that we eat, out brain is primarily composed of fat and you need it for energy and hormone production. This is extra important for depleted and tired new mamas.
So mama, enjoy this custard paired with fresh figs or berries or dollop on our delicious village for mama crumble.
- 4 egg yolks
- 400ml can coconut milk or cream*
- 1 tsp gelatin, bloomed in 1/4 cup water
- Vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 fresh figs or handful of fresh berries
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks, set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, gently heat coconut milk.
- Once at a low simmer, pour half of the coconut milk into the egg mixture and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture backing the saucepan and whisk continuously for 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla, maple syrup and gelatin and continue to whisk.
- Strain the pour into sterilised jars or small bowls.
- Set in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
Try and source a no-nonsense coconut milk or cream. Check the ingredients to ensure there are no fillers, flavours or preservatives. Ayam is a great option.
You can download the recipe card here
love Leila x