This delicious caramelised leek, fennel and potato gratin is the ultimate winter, nourishing comfort food and a perfect delivery for a new mama. Delicious as is or serve alongside some organic grilled chicken, a grass-fed steak or a colourful fresh salad. See sensitivity notes to make this dish vegan.
- 1 large leek
- 1 large fennel
- 1 garlic clove
- Handful of thyme sprigs, leaved removed or 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1kg potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock or chicken bone broth
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup parmesan or tbsp nutritional yeast, plus extra for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced. Grease a lasagna dish or ovenproof dish of your choice.
- Finely chop the leek, fennel and garlic. Add to a large frypan and sauté in ghee for 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme and stir through.
- Thinly slice the potatoes by hand with a sharp knife or using a mandolin, approx 3-5mm thick. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender combine the cashews, broth, mustard, parmesan or nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once caramelised transfer half of the sautéed vegetables into the base of the dish, spread evenly. Arrange potatoes to fill dish. Cover with remaining sautéed vegetables.
- Pour the cashew sauce over the dish until even. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese.
- Bake for 50 mins – 1 hour. Check to make sure the potatoes are soft and the bake is golden. Remove from oven and enjoy.
Add 2 cups of spinach or other greens, roughly chopped into the sautéed fennel and leek mixture.
Deliver this caramelised leek, fennel and potato gratin in a large baking dish or individual ramekins oven baked or fresh. Don’t forget to add a best before date. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Best enjoyed warm.
Reduce or remove leek if mama or baby are sensitive. It is worth noting that fennel should offset any leek sensitivity. Use olive oil, vegetable stock and nutritional yeast to make vegan.
Love Leila x
Ps. If you found this journal helpful and you wanted to say thanks, you can buy me a coffee. I am so grateful for your love and support.